lehmancaves.jpg

Baker Archaeological Site

The Baker Archaeological Site (also known as Baker Village) was excavated from 1991 to 1994. This village was assigned to the Fremont Culture. Excavation revealed that the residents collected wild plant foods and grew corn, beans, and squash. They built a complex village of adobe structures and pit houses. More than 15 structures were excavated. The main period of occupation was from A.D. 1220 to 1295.

After the excavations were completed, the site was backfilled (reburied with the dirt that was removed during excavation), a necessary step in protecting the cultural features that remain, to preserve them for possible future studies. As a result, the foundations of the village can no longer be seen on the surface. The wall indications you can see at the site are modern walls, built here in 2002. They cap the buried walls and protect them from erosion by wind. They are fragile, please do not walk on them.

Click here to learn more about the Baker Archaeological Site.

Directions: Turn south from Highway 50 one mile west of the Utah/Nevada border and travel 3 miles to the site marker.